Dear Museum & Theatre Members,
Your membership means the world to us. You join us on Members’ Mondays and throughout the year, and when you arrive your children smile, remember our names, and ask for a hand stamp – and this brings joy to us all. You not only support us through your repeated visits and financial support, you also are our ambassadors to the community. We value your input and take your feedback to heart in upgrading exhibits and introducing new programs. You bring friends and family and tell your cities and towns about our unique organization. You make the Museum & Theatre a richer, more vibrant community resource!
I am so excited to share with you more news about our upcoming adventure. In December, the Museum & Theatre purchased 1.12 acres of land at Thompson’s Point as the location for our future home. We expect to open the doors of the new Museum & Theatre in fall of 2019.
The future building will take time to build, and before we build the foundation, we will first pre-load the site to prepare it. As you drive or walk by Thompson’s point, you will soon see a construction fence and a very large pile of dirt. The dirt will sit on our new lot for several months, slowly compressing the soil and creating a perfect spot on which to build our future home.
While construction is underway, we plan to remain open at the 142 Free Street location through summer of 2019. You might have questions about how this move could impact your membership. Please rest assured that we are keeping current exhibits and programs at 142 Free Street vital, exciting, and updated. Your membership will provide a full year of play and learning, and member benefits will travel to our future home when we move. As you visit over the next year, keep an eye out for fun changes to the Car Shop exhibit, and (especially for those with older kids!) look for upgrades to the Lights, Camera, Color: Camera Obscura exhibit. The Playscape has returned to the first floor and will remain until we move. We will be exploring early morning hours on Tuesday mornings from 9-10 this spring to better suit the needs of younger audiences. Our daily activities and celebrations continue to grow; check out our expanded camp options for ages 4-8 (with day-long experiences this summer!).
When we move to Thompson’s Point, our future home will offer wonderful benefits to members, including:
- a brand new building (30,000 square feet)
- 100 seat theatre designed for family audiences
- exhibits designed to expand our age range to 1-14
- an entire STEM floor with dynamic water, air & ramp ball, and color & light exhibits
- aquatic exhibits showcasing Maine’s diverse ecosystem and multiple touch tanks
- a climbing structure for all ages including a toddler crawl-through and a slide
- a dedicated nursing space and a family bathroom
- dedicated pay-to-park parking for visitors
- an expanded infant and toddler space
- a brand new fire truck
- ADA designed exhibits and building with increased accessibility for all needs and abilities
- an increasingly diverse visitor base and grow initiatives such as scholarships and programs for families with special needs
- opening celebrations for current members
Thank you to our incredible members for your loyalty and excitement during this period of transition. We sincerely appreciate your support, and we are delighted that you are joining us on this journey!
Lucia Stancioff, Deputy Director
Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine
(207) 828-1234 ext. 225